Pat is a Co-Founding Partner of Health Care Program Advisors and the Revenue Cycle and Analytics/Business Intelligence lead at HCPA. Pat specializes in a full array of advisory services including financial and operational performance improvement, systems implementations and post implementation remediation and enhancements, and evaluating insource/outsource options and new vendor offerings.
A management engineer by training and experience, Pat has over thirty years of work experience and has spent the past ten years focused on improving revenue cycle operations. This includes executing numerous revenue cycle turnarounds and implementing new patient accounting systems to enhance client revenue cycle operations. Pat also served as the COO for a full-scope revenue cycle outsourcing firm.
Pat’s comprehensive revenue cycle experience includes a variety of technology, operations, and performance improvement areas, including:
- Interim management
- Cash acceleration
- Overall transformations integrating all related service provided under value-based billing arrangements, achieving revenue growth by creating added capacity through length of stay reductions
- Integrated utilization management concepts into Revenue Cycle engagements
- Developing and/or reviewing measurement models and metrics that form the bases for project or outsourcing benefits and related contingency fees
- Objective analysis and negotiation of equitable resolution of fee arrangements and disagreements
- EMPI/workflow options to facilitate Patient Access operations
- Large system implementations for a variety of multi-facility organizations, including experience with the Siemens and McKesson/HBOC suite of applications
- Decision Support Systems (HBOC, TSI, HCM) for single facilities, multi-facility groups and the Veterans Administration, including implementation assistance for these and other organizations
- Departmental reviews of Finance, Accounting, Revenue cycle and related areas for staffing and other cost reduction opportunities
Pat has worked with:
- Major, multi-hospital systems and corporations
- Managed Care Organizations
- Pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers.
He served as a partner and later vice president with Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, running their revenue cycle practice in the Southeast. Pat was also COO of HealthTask, a joint venture outsourcing firm co-owned by Ernst & Young and Norrell.
Pat earned a Bachelor of Science in Health Systems Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology and a Master of Science in Business Administration (finance concentration) from the University of Louisville.
Pat is an active member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA). He has authored several articles for HFMA publications and spoken frequently at its forums.
In his free time, Pat is pursuing completion of all five of the World Association of Cycle Event bicycle rides (2 of 5 completed thus far).